Friday, October 14, 2011

31 for 21: #14 What do I tell my kids? (part 1)

Okay.  I plan to do another multi-part post.  I am totally cheating on today...but to be fair I think that the previous entries are quality enough to repost.
A friend sent me a message the other day: "...so, how do i become and advocate, proactive mother, and teach my children to accept children with disabilitys when i was not taught or even exposed to this until..."  a crisis.  (She doesn't deserve to have her laundry thrown in with mine...it's not my story.)

And, frankly, I am struggling to find answers for my own child.  Amelia is beginning to become aware of Elise's "not same-ness"...and I am preparing to answer as best I can...

Here are my first attempts to explain:
http://superdownsy.blogspot.com/2010/09/rant-1-but-why-do-you-need-diagnosis-to.html#comments

http://superdownsy.blogspot.com/2010/09/them-question-i-try-to-answer-1-what-if.html

I will revisit this subject soon...and explain why I am revisiting.  I promise.

1 comment:

  1. I think about this too. I certainly say "down syndrome" enough at home to warrant curiosity from Micah. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep a light tone with it all, no-big-deal and keep it that way, much like my pRents treated my deafness with my brother

    ReplyDelete