Saturday, October 23, 2010

31 for 21: #23 Bean Bag Baby

I got to hold a baby with Downs tonight. I've known her for a bit, but this is the first time I had a moment to snatch her.

Oh! I've forgotten how they feel!

A baby with Downs feels physically different than other babies. Their trunk is a hair wider in proportion and their joints and muscles are softer due to low muscle tone. Mind you, they may be just as strong or stronger than their counterparts, but at rest, the muscles and joints have more "play".

But as you hold them, their little low muscle tone bodies sink into you like a toasty warm little bean bag. They almost drape themselves about you, rather than resting against you. Like a sleeping cat...

Almost eight years ago, I was wrapped up into Elise for the first time. And I will happily never be free.

She would sink into me in my arms or in my first sling, and "murf"...you know, those happy little baby moans of joy. She was so happy to be snuggled up with me, her joy constantly escaped in sighs...."murf, murf...muuuurrrff..." Almost like she was purring...

It has been eight long years...it has been eight short years...and I adore her. I love her more than words could ever give justice...I love her more than I ever felt possible...she is my girl.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, I am honored that Gabi made your blog! :) She is my little bean bag baby!!

    ReplyDelete