Tuesday, October 19, 2010

31 for 21: #19 Searching for Pants, Sam I Am!

Elise does not like to be bathed. She does not like to get her hair wet. She does not like to take a shower. She does not like to be scrubbed. She does not like to be baby wiped. She does not like to have her hair brushed. She does not like to have her hair put into pony-tails. She does not like tooth brushes. She does not like tooth paste.

In short, she does not like to be groomed.

She does not like to change her clothes. She does not like shoes. She does not like socks with terry cloth loops inside. She does not like flip flops. She does not like to walk in bare feet outside. She does not like to walk on grit on hard-wood floors. She does not like certain fleeces. She does not like velcro. She does not like sweaters. She does not like tights. She does not like panties that are too loose. She does not like panties that are too tight. She does not like hats. She does not like cuffs on shirts. She does not like the internal adjustable elastics in the waist band of her pants. She does not like belts. She does not like pants that are too long. She does not like her pant legs rolled up. She does not like buttons. She does not like turtle necks. She does not like skirts. She does not like leggings. She does not like what you must wear, She does not like them here or there, She does not like them, Sam I Am...

In short, finding clothes that she likes to wear is holy you-know-what.

Seriously, I hate season change because we have to go through all her clothes to see what fits. And then there is a whole 'nother issue to see what she is willing to wear of those that fit...After a few weeks into this science experiment money is no object if we could get dressed without a fit.

Right now Elise likes stripes and Gabriel's hand-me-down t-shirts. And a pair of Nike tennis shoes that won't fit for more than another month...they may really be too small now. (Which precludes half of her socks.) Pants? Um, we are still looking for some that don't drive her to spitting and keening...

I admit to letting her sleep in whatever shirt she will wear the next day. I have been known to wait on brushing her hair until she is in her car seat and can't get away. I am paying her off for putting on her pants, shoes, and brushing her teeth with movies on my iPod....and who knows what new lows I will have to stoop to. I like to think that this area of life will get better with better communication skills. When she can tell me why she likes particular items of clothing so that we can duplicate them, it will certainly open our options...

Once she is clean, she is charming and beautiful. Once she is in clothes and on to the activities of the day, she is great fun.

But if she could be washed and dressed in her sleep, it would make things easier. Much, MUCH easier.

And that's all I have to say about that. :)

1 comment:

  1. My god-daughter recently told her 2 year old that if she did not eat she would die. I guess we have to do what we have to do!

    I was always frustrated that Caroline wanted to wear only boring neutrals as a pre-teen. I used to hook her up with a cute, impressive looking sales girl. Prior to that I cornered the sales girl, and explained my problem. If Caroline was sufficiently impressed with her, she would occasionally go for red...my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete