Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Competitors, My Peers, My Friends

I begged you to nominate me for the Reader's Choice Awards because I was hoping that there would be a list of entries and I might get some traffic. I was shocked that enough of you thought enough of my blog to get me to the top of the list! I do my blog to offer camaraderie, support, a glimpse of hope for a new and unexpected future, and to share with those who aren't living my life. I personally scan the blogs followed by my favorite blog authors to find new blogs for hope for OUR future with Elise. When I see awards on their side-bars, I will certainly give them more of my attention to see what others see.

At the risk of selling your votes to my competitors, I decided that I'd spotlight the blogs up against me, because they are really quality.

A blog that I've been following for about 6 months is one of the other finalists. The Garden of Eagan, is an honest perspective of raising a daughter with Down Syndrome. Angela is 14. They've just adopted a boy from Europe, and she's chronicled that adoption process as well. Leah, the author, spent hours talking to me on the phone, a stranger, as a friend offering personal experiences and advice. Her blog is no different than herself, like a hug on a computer page. I have to echo the comment that another one of her readers posted, she helps us, coming behind, to"frame my vision for my daughter".

I only discovered these other blogs through the voting and spotlights. I am following them now, and I am enjoying the education, the joy and open-armed-ness of them all.

eSpecially Ben is a warm, sharing celebratory blog. The author, Vanessa, shares the struggles of raising a son with special needs, and offers support and joy.

Fighting Monsters with Rubber Swords is a blog that focuses of the practicality and honesty of dealing with bilateral perisylvian polymicrogyria. The author is a father who focuses on the positive without sacrificing the truth.

Hartley's Life with 3 Boys is written by the mother of, you guessed it, 3 boys. One has autism and bipolar, one has *just* autism. She, too, uses my mantra, "you are not alone". She shares, with laughter, the inner workings of her life. She offers practical advice of what works for her and actively advocates for her sons and others, too.

I have been very free recommending other blogs, aiding others to share their stories, and sending you to great sites and decided that I should not stop now. So, do check out these great blogs...but I hope you'll still vote for me... HEY! I've always promised honesty!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment