Monday, March 11, 2013

The Perspective of Badasses

Yeah.  I know.  Bad word.  And I don't usually stoop to those tactics.  But a few weeks ago, I saw the funniest meme.  And I DIED laughing, I snorted, and tears ran down my cheeks.  And then a friend found it again this week, and told me she thought of me. 

 
 
While addressing the theology of the whole, "God only gives you what you can handle" thing will have to wait for another day... HERE is my favorite one from someone else...
 
NOW that said, I'm also going to send you to another blog that has a TON of language, so please hear the actual story going on!!  The Bloggess.
 
Why share that?  Well, beyond the fact that I laugh until I can't breathe every.single.time. I read that particular post, I like the idea of perspective.  I wrote a post about The Truth of Parenting that addresses the same idea of perspective.
 
I was thinking in carline, again...and found myself thinking about how I view my life when I'm tired and everybody is sick, versus, when I am rested and my kids are well.  I know that our healthy and "normal" is fairly similar to "typical" parents sick and exhausted days.  And I furthermore know, that our sick and exhausted days, are like the very best of healthy and rested days for Elise's friend Megan's family and our neighbors across the street.  And that the sweet and joyful moments are caused primarily by our perspective.  What are we comparing ourselves to?  Why?
 
Could we appreciate the beauty of boring without the crises?  Can we enjoy the high notes without the low?  As in Beethoven's 5th Symphony?
 
 
Most artists use loud and soft, dark and light, and constant layers to drive home the beauty and complexity of beauty.  I watched a documentary on the science of beauty when I was in high school and it utterly fascinated me. It reiterated over and over that beauty is in the subtle imperfections...the contrasts...
 
So, in your dark, look for the light.  Really see your blessings.  In your light, don't lose the shading, in your life, and most especially in others' lives...don't get accustomed to the easy...don't lose the awesome of boring...don't lose perspective.
 
One of my favorite verses is Jeremiah 31:21
Set up for yourself roadmarks,
Place for yourself guideposts;
Direct your mind to the highway,
The way by which you went.
Return, O virgin of Israel,
Return to these your cities.
 
 
To me, I think that God is saying more than just "Israel, don't get lost."  I believe that he is saying, "Don't lose yourself , your history, and your perspective in the present." 
 
And so it is with life.  With typical kids.  With special kids.  With your spouse and friends.
 
And the dark, light, special, and everyday become beautiful.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment