Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Who I Am

I hope to have several guest posts written by adults with Down syndrome. 

I already have one that I am sitting on by a remarkable man, Alex.  I have emailed several others requesting posts.  I am very much looking forward to any words by any and all of them.  I will be including whatever Elise decides to give me, as well. 

I was inspired by a book that I read on Autism.  NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity.  It was talking about the history of autism, and that policy changes only really came when parents got involved over the professionals.  And that listening to actual autistics will be where the neurological acceptance revolution will take place.  I know that I write as a parent of a person with Down syndrome, because for now, Elise hasn't found her voice.  I hope that I will know when it is time to let her make her own choices.  I know that it will be hard, but I also know that letting her grow up and be as independent as possible will be exhilarating and joyful to witness.

So, if you know someone who might be interested, PLEASE get us in contact with each other!!

No comments:

Post a Comment