Thursday, October 11, 2018

Some for 21: Speaking of

You'll notice my super commitment phobic title.  I know I won't be doing 31 posts for the annual "31 for 21", so I just promise *some* this year.

As I have mentioned so many times before, Elise's speech is her area of greatest delay and struggles.  She has both delays and fluency issues.  Disfluency being the proper terminology for stuttering.

We have speech therapy both at school and outside school.  She gets it for functional reasons at school and personal expressionism and general communication outside of school.  Both therapists have focused a lot of effort targeting the disfluency.

This week, after a very severe week of gum ups, her outside therapist brought up speech devices again.  So I dug out the talk box that we got for her over 5 years ago, charged it up and let her see if it looked like something that can finally help with some support.  It looks like the buttons are still too small and the layers too complex, in short, the problems are still not outgrown.

So I guess we will have to search for something else.  I do know that Elise likes to talk.  I know that she is willing to go to great lengths to get her thoughts across.  I hope that we may be able to find something that will give her all the communication that she so desperately desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment