Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Happy World Down Syndrome Day

At the risk of repeating myself, which, I know I am, but this always bears repeating...

"You are everything I never knew I always wanted."  ~ Fools Rush In

Today on World Down Syndrome Day, we get to truly celebrate our kids.  And you know what?  We really do!  It is not a blind, stubborn pride thing...It is a a proud, joyful, treasuring...

Do you ever wonder why so very many people who have kids with Downs turn around and adopt another?  It's not because we are noble people who are willing to shoulder more burden than the average person, it's because we really, truly love and enjoy our "special" kids. 

Don't get me wrong, they can be more work, they can have more health problems, they can make us sad...but they make our lives so very rich and amazing!

I do not think that it was a coincidence that World Down Syndrome Day is the first day of Spring.  Having a child with Downs births a new perspective, and new appreciation for life.

So let me just say how very honored we are that God gave us Elise.  She is a flash of sunshine in our lives.  She is a blessing.

3 comments: